Today I created my first baked good recipe. That’s right, my very first ORIGINAL recipe!! Super exciting and most of all, delicious. Moist, fluffy, rich, complex, all those yummy words you can think of. Although these are not low fat/calorie, they are made with whole ingredients and coconut cream instead of butter or oil which is a healthier fat.
These would also be great as cake or cupcakes. These can easily be made vegan by omitting the egg, they will be less cakey and more dense.
Healthier Dark Chocolate Mint Brownies
1 can coconut cream (I used trader joes)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 egg (omit if making vegan brownies)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
2/3 cup sugar (I used a combo of palm sugar and xylitol)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Approximately 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Your coconut cream should be very think out of the can, if it is not leave unopened in a can or bowl overnight to firm.
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix coconut cream with wet ingredients and whisk together.
3. Mix dry ingredients and whisk together.
4. Combine wet to dry ingredients and mix.
5. Line a 11×7 pan with parchment paper or grease pan.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 35-40 mins or until a toothpick inserted to middle of brownies comes out dry.
8. Cool for at least 1 hour. Insert chunks of dark chocolate if wanted.